Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

MORE THAN JUST A SYMBOL

I was there as a witness in my new capacity as a member of the new Lynn Disability Commission. I commented on this historic day in my previous day. Scooping the ITEM once again. It has also been brought to my attention by at least one person that there was some confusion over my use of satire.

So in the interest of absolute clarity, I will be serious for a moment. I warn you don't think I am going to make this a habit.

The symbolism attached to this act is overwhelming. This acknowledgement is the beginning of our acceptance into full participation in the city of Lynn. The simple hoisting of a piece of cloth will not bring down all barriers or end discrimination. If only it were that easy.

What it does do is lay a foundation of respect for the rights of the disabled and the realization that we are citizens too, full citizens. As the late Ted Kennedy said, "the work continues, the dream lives on".

Lots of people worked tirelessly to bring us to this point, the actual number is too long to list here. Still I would like to acknowledge the leadership of Mayor Judith Flanigan Kennedy who has often been a victim in my other reporting for the LYNN SCHOOL WATCH. She stepped
up to the plate and put all the rhetoric into action. THANK YOU!

The Daily Item: Lynn honors disabled through flag-raising ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment