Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

GUILTY PERCEPTIONS

Lately two experiences have highlighted to me the lack of respect the disabled community faces. We need to get a new prescription for our "rose-colored" glasses.

Wednesday I was treated like a criminal from the police for being a parent and telling my 13 year-old daughter she could not have something. Granted I have trouble communicating and that should be painfully obvious to any observer. I did not appreciate being ambushed from the get go.

Yesterday I was berated by a court officer for not correctly reading the date on a court document. This was after hours of going through hoops with at least four opportunities to catch my mistake. That same court officer who berated me was involved in two of those opportunities.

It's just frustrating when people who are supposed to be sensitive to our plight are the worst offenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment