Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hidden Blessings!

The worst thing a disabled person can experience is to be referred to in the third person. This often happens from people you would least expect it from - caregivers and social workers. I have plenty of experience at both ends of the spectrum.

I suffered a brain injury in 1981. My life changed in both good and bad ways. The bad ways are easy to point out. My speech is slurred and it seems to want to echo in my nasal cavity. My balance is severely affected making my gait terribly unsteady. I was a "golden" child, academics were not a challenge and lots of education opportunities were open to me. Having those many gifts taken away from could only leave a disastrous prognosis.

Despite all of my losses I got to appreciate the biggest gift of all - to learn to be grateful for what you have and how much fun it can be to make the most of it. Concentrating on your losses can only bring you down to a dark place. Don't waste precious energy on regrets but be OPEN to explore new possibilities. Good things don't just happen. You  have to be ready for them.

"Half-full" ot]]r "Half-empty". The kind of beverage you drink depends on the glass you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment